On September 30th, the Lutz Tavern is closing. I have many great memories that involve the Lutz. In college, it was the place to go to wind down and socialize after a long evening in the library. In the years after, it served as an informal reunion with friends and acquaintances. It’s a SE Portland institution, and whatever the economics, I’m sad to see it go.
I spent my last night in the Lutz last weekend, and, though they replaced the old Jukebox with one of those Internet things, I did my best to put on a set that included some old Lutz mainstays and some other songs that reminded me of the good days from college.
Last Lutz Set (10 songs):
- Patsy Cline – Walkin’ After Midnight
- Social Distortion – Ball & Chain
- Beastie Boys – Paul Revere
- Johnny Cash – Ring of Fire
- Jane’s Addiction – Been Caught Stealing
- Iron Butterfly – In-A-Godda-Da-Vida
- Cream – Sunshine of Your Love
- Billy Idol – Dancing With Myself
- Elvis Costello – Veronica
- Jim Croce – Bad, Bad Leroy Brown